Questlines

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Questlines

Post  RightHandofSithis on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:26 am

*requires the player to have finished the vanilla DB Questline.
DB Forever is removed, later, player gets instructions from Night Mother and relays them to Speaker. If player wants assassinations like DB Forever, will have to contact a Speaker instead (DB forever will also be improved, placing targets in well-guarded locations, makes then fight back etc)

The player contacts the Night Mother. She tells him that Astrid’s blasphemous disregard for DB tradition and abandonment of the Five Tenets have greatly angered Sithis and he demands repentance. This will require blood. Much blood. The blood of his enemies and the blood of his subjects. The blood of his subjects has already been taken care of by Astrid, when he had manipulated her into making the deal with the Penitus Oculatus. Now he demands the blood of his enemies. But before that can happen, the Brotherhood must be rebuilt.

This starts with the Black Hand. The Night Mother will inform the player of the locations of the future speakers (as detailed on the characters page) until Deldyn Sadri, who seeks the player out herself, she speaks to the player and requests to be named speaker, the Night Mother agrees and with this, the Black Hand is restored.

Now the mod really begins. Before any more is done, the player eventually receives a message from the Morag Tong, reading:

The Webspinner watches, child of Sithis. She wishes to offer you a chance to repent. To cleanse yourself. And to find a worthy Master. For is the Void really worthy of one of your skill and devotion. The one that sends his very followers to their deaths.
Think about it. Rest on it. We shall come and see if you will repent.

(If anybody can write a better message, please do so)

When the player next sleeps, they awaken atop a mountain with a Morag Tong agent. He explains that Sithis is not a lord worth serving and the Dark Brotherhood does not truly respect the art of murder and is based almost solely on greed and offers the player to join the MT. If the player refuses, he becomes hostile. If the player accepts, he gives the player a writ. (If the Player joins the MT, the listener is replaced)

Dark Brotherhood
Having confirmed his/her loyalty to Sithis, the Black Hand meets in the Dawnstar Sanctuary to discuss the next phases. They newly appointed Speakers discuss whether to combat the MT immediately or to rebuild as much as possibly before striking. The player then decides to rebuild, and the Black Hand agrees.

The player then has the choices of which sanctuary to rebuild at each time. This will require some gold (can be acquired from anywhere, but the side assassinations should be able to provide it) and a quest or two to blackmail/coerce/murder nobles/people who hold the power in the hold to consolidate power in the region or to clear out MT attempts to expand into the area first.

When the four sanctuaries have been completed (Dawnstar is obviously already finished), the player is given a quest to build their own sanctuary/hideout where the Black Hand can meet to discuss the next move against the MT.

From here the player must assassinate the leaders of the established MT hideouts (those with the rank master) and either lead a group of DB members to assault the hideout, or force the authorities (by blackmail or coercion) in the hold to send soldiers to wipe them out.

After the masters have been taken care of, the final attack against the Tong is planned. The assault on the hideout of the grandmaster himself. The Black Hand assembles with a group of DB members outside the entrance of it. The Listener debriefs the ‘captain’ of the assassins (His orders are to wait for a while so the Black Hand can confront the Grandmaster, and then attack) while the Speakers make their way to the grandmasters quarters. The Listener then follows and meets up with his Speakers just outside the grandmasters quarters. The combined Black Hand enters to find the Grandmaster and a group of MT members to defend him. The Black Hand and the grandmaster have a little speech and then a battle follows. When the grandmaster and his entourage are dead, a member of the Tong enters, frantically explaining the attack. He then realises the Grandmaster is dead and the Black Hand kills him. The Black Hand exits the Grandmasters quarters to witness the end of the battle with the DB victorious.

The Black hand now meets fortnightly at the Listeners hideout/sanctuary to discuss policies of expansion or to consolidate power further in Skyrim etc.

Morag Tong
Having converted to join the Morag Tong, the player is given the rank of associate and given a writ ordering the assassination of Nazir to prove their loyalty to Mephala. Having killed Nazir, the player is contactyed by the Mt and is invited to the MT HQ in the Windhelm. Here they are advanced further into the Tong.

They are then asked to expand the Tong further into Skyrim by establishing bases/hideouts for each of the Masters. This requires the player to clear out any DB attempts to move into the area and/or blackmail/bribe/coerce/murder nobles/people with power in the hold to permit the Tong to live quietly in the area and help ward of the DB. This increases the players rank in the Tong.

When all four bases have been established, the player is ordered to meet the Grandmaster himself (who has his own base). There he is tasked with systematically eliminating the DB, by assassinating their leaders and either leading attacks against them, or ‘persuading’ local leaders to take care of them. This further increases the players rank in the Tong up to Exalted Master (and being named as the Grandmaster’s successor).

After eliminating the last Speaker, the player meets the Grandmaster again. The Grandmaster tells him that he is currently very close to death. Tradition dictates that a new Grandmaster is appointed when he/she slays the previous Grandmaster. The Grandmaster tells the player that he had intended for them to replace him all along, and requests the player to kill him and eliminate Cicero (who is now Listener) along with the rest of the DB.

Now the Masters gather outside the Listeners’s sanctuary with a force of MT assassins. The player debriefs the ‘captain’ of the assassins while the masters make their way into the sanctuary. The player debriefs the ‘captain’ of the assassins and tells them to wait a while after he/she enters the sanctuary before attacking (to give them time to assassinate Cicero). The player then enters the sanctuary and the Masters are assembled outside of Cicero’s Quarters. They Combined leadership of the MT enters Cicero’s Quarters to meet Cicero and a few other DB assassins. The MT and Cicero have a little speech and a battle follows. When Cicero and his entourage lie dead, a DB member enters the room and frantically explains that the sanctuary has been attacked, only to realise that Cicero is dead. The MT kills him. The MT leadership leaves Cicero’s Quarters to find the DB routing and the MT victorious.

The Player now has control of their own base, where the Masters gather to discuss MT issues fortnightly.

Last edited by RightHandofSithis on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:00 am; edited 2 times in total
RightHandofSithis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Questlines

Post  EPK22 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:54 am

This is a great summary and seems like the most straight forward way to keep this a smaller mod.

I have one large problem however - Cicero as Listener. Considering the current DB questline, its very likely he is dead. I think a totally new NPC needs to become listener if the player defects to the MT, likely an additional NPC that the player recruited for the Black Hand quest. This NPC can serve has speaker for Dawnstar Sanctuary (or at least as second to Nazir - if that is his title).

And the Morag Tong agent drags the player to the top of a mountain? Not sure I like that. Where better but at the feet of a shrine to Mephala. Problem is, there does not seem to be one in game but certainly a modder could reuse the one from Oblivion, retexture and place.

I also mentioned my thoughts on Ingvar Twin-Daggers in the character section but I'll reiterate some here. I feel he should stay an agent in Windhelm and not a master. How does the Dark Brotherhood so easily find the Morag Tong bases? Ingvar. Capture and torture it out of him. On the flip side, I suppose that once the player kills Nazir, there could be information leading to the locations of the new DB sanctuaries on him.

At first I was torn on not having a way to join the Tong without first having done the original DB + it's little expansion leading up to the defection, but I think I like it that way. Who better to recruit to the Morag Tong than a Dark Brotherhood member - the Listener even - to help combat them. Definitely a morale blow against them. Yet on the other (DB) hand, the Dark Brotherhood sees just how much of a threat MT has become in Skyrim that they would be so bold as to try to recruit their Listener.

EPK22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EPK22 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:32 am

A thought occurred to me that we could take a cue from the Main Skyrim storyline where the blades ask you to recruit three members.

Perhaps as we set up each HQ for either side, the Master of that base asks us to find/recommend/sponsor (whatever you want to call it) a new member to assist him.

These NPCs can be pulled right from the current list of companions that you could also recruit for the Blades. This gives us an easy way to add a personal touch to each base so that the only inhabitants aren't just "generic initiate" type NPCs.

*This however has one downside - we would not be able to match the voices if they needed to say new dialogue.

-----------------

Just to spice up a couple Speaker/Master related quests....

As far as finding the Speakers, I think it might be interesting if we had to do a little more leg work to get one of them to join - like a jail break of some sort or rescue from bandits/falmer/etc (this could be the background for the additional NPC I said we should add).

Night Mother:
One more speaker remains, Listener, <insert name> has strayed from the Dread Lord's path seeking riches and fell pray to <insert enemy>. Find her and bring her back to her family.

And to spice up the Morag Tong side maybe Yahahulu Han-Ilu needs to be recruited in some way.

Bradasou Hlaalu:
<Player Rank>, before we proceed with our expansion deeper into Skyrim, you are in need of more appropriate attire. Unfortunately, there is very few of us left with the skill of producing fine Dunmer weapons and armor. Lucky for you, it has come to my attention that a craftsman such as this can be found in Skyrim. Find Yahahulu Han-Ilu in Windhelm. He plays apprentice to Hermir Strong-Heart, though he's surely the Nord's better in the art of smithing. See what it will take to turn him to our cause. Even my own armor is in need of repair.

Yahahulu Han-Ilu is at first unwilling to help but will join you if you aid his son. Ashahul Han-Ilu, his son, can be found in Windhelm's prison locked up for a bogus crime just because he's a Dunmer. Report back to Bradasou your findings who will refer you to the Morag Tong's mole, Ingvar Twin-Daggers. He may have a remedy to deal with the guards (coerce the guards in some way or simply break him out)

EPK22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RightHandofSithis on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:56 pm

Hey EPK.

I forgot that Cicero could be dead. My bad. I'll work on getting another Listener after the player.

We can't bring five speakers into this. There can only be four at a time. Perhaps after the player defects to the tong, the new listener and the Black hand find another Speaker on their own.

I also thought that by both sides knowing the others whereabouts could add to the mystery of the guilds. But it would be nice to interrogate some people. I suppose Nazir could have some info on him. he does after-all seem devoted to the brotherhood and determined to bring it back to glory, and thus he would be actively helping to set up sanctuaries.

And I thought a mountain simply because that would seem to be the location. Isolated and in some respects dramatic. But a Mephala statue could be nice.

And I think Yahahulu Han-Ilu would already be in the MT simply because he is a traditional Dunmer blacksmith, and nobody in Skyrim would care about that, except the MT. thus the only way for him to make a living and to continue the craft he loves is to service them (not to mention, they'd respect him, unlike many Nords).

But yes, the idea of jail-breaking/saving/serving the speakers makes sense. I'll get on it.

PS This isn't extremely short. You have to find 4 Speakers, found 4 sanctuaries and eliminate 5 more. It's about as long (or longer) than A Brotherhood Renewed from Oblivion.
(There are 4 DB sanctuaries including Dawnstar [which is finished] and the Listeners personal abode. There are 4 MT sanctuaries including Windhelm [which is finished] and the Grandmasters personal abode)
RightHandofSithis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EPK22 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:26 pm

Ah, I simply mean smaller mod in that it has things in place for us to build upon. I know you stressed the need to not make the mod too complex to the point where it doesn't get finished.

RightHandofSithis wrote:Hey EPK.
We can't bring five speakers into this. There can only be four at a time. Perhaps after the player defects to the tong, the new listener and the Black hand find another Speaker on their own.
That's fine by me.

RightHandofSithis wrote:And I thought a mountain simply because that would seem to be the location. Isolated and in some respects dramatic. But a Mephala statue could be nice.
A mountain is certainly dramatic but I feel the player pledging to serve the Morag Tong standing before their patron saint is dramatic in it's own right. And actually, now that I think of it, the player should be asked to kill Nazir to prove his/her loyalty right there on the spot BEFORE he's invited to the SECRET Morag Tong base. Catch my drift?

RightHandofSithis wrote:
And I think Yahahulu Han-Ilu would already be in the MT simply because he is a traditional Dunmer blacksmith, and nobody in Skyrim would care about that, except the MT. thus the only way for him to make a living and to continue the craft he loves is to service them (not to mention, they'd respect him, unlike many Nords).
That's fair. It came to me only because Morag Tong line seems to have all the masters already established when you join whereas you have to actually seek out all the Dark Brotherhood Speakers on the other side of the line so I thought one recruitment type quest might be nice for that side as well (even if he is not a master).

But I'm fine with Yahahulu Han-Ilu already being associated with the Tong if you feel that's best - perhaps there is still a side mission to get his son out of jail in which case he gifts you a special item?

I like the idea of Ingvar being a mole in the Windhelm government and this little quest showing just how much clout he wields (Its one thing to ask Ingvar about himself and get him to tell you about this back story but another for him to actually show you his pull). Perhaps Ingvar lets you in on a little secret that a certain prison guard is in his pocket BUT his superior his in the way. If his superior was to "disappear", the prison guard would be promoted and help free Ashahul.

As Ashahul seems to serve no real purpose it wouldn't even matter if this quest was actually done. No need to worry about it now I guess though, being a side quest.

EPK22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RightHandofSithis on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:37 pm

Yes the idea of having to kill Nazir before joining was what I intended.

And the reason the MT is already established when the Brotherhood had to seek out its Speakers is because the player has already done some recruitment.

And freeing the prisoner is a good idea still. We might put it under "Side Assassinations" (even though its not an assassination).
RightHandofSithis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EPK22 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:33 pm

Oh, right! The player does the recruiting regardless as that happens before the option to defect. Got it.

EPK22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum